View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
mjm

Re: I'm all done - why depressed?

Hi Irvinefriend,
I'm not in your position, but you sound so much like me! So I can give you a little advice that I'd struggle to take on board myself. You sound like someone who works so hard and has put their all into a major battle and done brilliantly, and now you want to catch up on all the 'work' (in all areas of life) that you missed. But you have probably used up all your emotional and physical resources in this fight, and will still be affected physically by the treatments. Sooo, here's the advice I'd be so bad at taking: Break this new post-treatment phase into 3 stages - 1) try and take some kind of a holiday/rest/pamper to rebuild yourself - you really do deserve it! 2) Give yourself permission to build up slowly, maybe over 6 months or a year - you will just make yourself feel horrible if you set impossibly high goals while physically and emotionally you've got every reason not to be 100% better yet 3) When you do get back to feeling normal let yourself start on a clean slate instead of feeling you are a year "in debt". You will do well and get back to overachieving...don't push yourself too hard too soon.

If the depression continues too long, don't be afraid to seek help, but in the meantime, think about how you would treat your best friend in that situation, and try to do some really nice, gentle things for yourself. The time you spent being treated does not count as me-time

Hope you feel better soon, but keep posting either way xo
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote