View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
CourtneyL

Re: Courtney, how are you?

Wow ladies, I am overwhelmed by the love and support! Thank you so very much. I spent the last few days resting and spending some quality time with family and friends so I apologize for not posting sooner.

I have some really outstanding news to report. When I went in for the Gamma Knife procedure last Thursday, they did another Brain MRI with double contrast to evaluate the tumors. They always prepare you for the possibility that the double contrast will likely reveal even more tumors and that there is a possibility they won't do the Gamma Knife if there are too many.

Well my scan not only showed that there were no additional tumors, it actually showed SHRINKAGE! It has only been 3 weeks since my previous scan and already some of the larger tumors had shrunk by several millimeters (diameter). The folks at UCSF told me that this was a pretty remarkable finding. That they never see shrinkage on a Gamma Knife scan. So I don't know if it is the vaccine, the Tykerb, the Boswellia, or a combo, but something is working by golly!

The Gamma Knife procedure itself went fine. Just a really long day that left me exhausted and with a sore scalp. They zapped the 7 tumors that they saw (there were only 7 instead of the previously reported 8) and I won't need to scan again until January. This means I can go about the business of enjoying my life and a wonderful holiday season without worrying about all of this. I know that something is working to shrink the growth and that is incredibly reassuring and comforting.

Thank you again lovely ladies for all of the wonderful words of encouragement and love. You help me to be unafraid and to face these challenges with grace and dignity. I will overcome.

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote