View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
kcherub

Hi! I hope you find a way to make the best decision for you! Here is why I chose lumpectomy and radiation (see my stats for the rest of my protocol):

1) My tumor was on the small side (1.4 cm., but I go with 1, as the .4 was a dot out)
2) I was only 34, and plan on having another child and breastfeeding (with either one or two breasts, whatever works after radiation)
3) I did not want to have to go through the recovery of a mastectomy (just having had augmentation 6 years ago was horrible as far as recovery goes)
4) I knew that my overall survival rate would be about the same (taking into consideration the above as well)
5) My best friend from childhood's mother had BC in 1988. She was a thin woman, with small breasts and a small tumor. She had a bilateral mastectomy (since she wasn't given a choice back then). She passed away about 6 years ago, after a recurrence in the chest wall and then brain mets. I always wonder if she had been able to find out if she was Her2+ would that have made a difference? However, all of my lovely friends here are going to be FINE!!! WELL!!! HEALTHY for years to come!!!
6) This might be a bit misguided, but I felt that if I recurred, I would rather it be in breast tissue rather than in the chest wall, and that since i use my right hand for about 90% of my work, I didn't want any higher odds of lymphedema in that arm. I do sketches for custom linens we sell in my store, and work on the computer a lot. You know how it is, ladies. You get very ABSTRACT in all of this!

I found that the article was trying to touch base on the fact that women do have a choice. I might not have the same viewpoint, since I did not have a mastectomy, but I think that years ago when women didn't have a choice, many of them were not as comfortable with not having a choice. Did that make sense? My grandmother didn't have a choice, nor did my friend's mother. It horrifies me to think that I might have been told what to do instead of deciding for myself based upon the facts as I knew them. I like that Cynthia was able to give her opinion--I have no idea what the second person was talking about! I do agree that many women (younger especially) choose the mastectomy since reconstruction options are better now. You have to remember, some of us younger ladies identify a lot with our breasts, right or wrong. It is just a comfort level on all sorts of other levels!!!

What a hard decision you have to make. I will be praying that you find the choice that is best for you, and without too much stress or second-guessing.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote