View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
Mary Anne in TX

Andi, I loved reading your list of supplements! My husband takes a couple of handfuls (well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch) each morning after his oatmeal doctored with ginger, garlic, red pepper, etc (yes it is dreadful smelling)! He had a major heart attach 12 years ago and began a serious study to take care of himself! He has had heart tests every year and always comes out smelling like a rose! (Actually, he amazes them each time. They couldn't get his heart rate up any higher while running this past week) He is faithful to exercise, eating no trans fats, meat, etc...you know the routine....and taking those yucky supplements! I say yucky because he chews them up! Ugh! But he does it. He gets criticism from people who think he "needs" some meat (including his mother) and his just overdoing it! He's 65, works every day outside in the heat and loves his life. He had spent 25 - 30 as a marriage and family therapist (still slips now and then and says yes to helping folks) and so doing stuff with his hands in the heat is wonderful to him.
Anyway, I say all that to say that for 10 years he has continued to get even more healthy and be so happy. He has been an inspiration to me to add supplements (one at a time....I'm such a hesitant pill taker) as I watch him be so healthy!
I know we need to be careful what we do, but for a "doubting Thomas" like me, I need to be a bit more open minded. I'm getting there!
I know that he comes from a family that is basically "long livers", except for his dad who had 3 major heart attacks and died a bit early.
My family has kinda, "one of each" disease to run from. But I have to think that what he has done would do me good, so I'm working on adding a bit every few months to see how it goes.
I totally admire the "healthy eaters, tea drinkers, supplement takers, and all who have such great self discipline. I'm really trying to be one! Well, part one anyway!
Thanks to all who question and make us think!
Mary Anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote