View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #206
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink KAT IN THE DELTA & MagsB

I AM ON HERCEPTIN SINCE '98. I get ev 6 mnth ECHO cardiograms. You must be over 50 (Ejection Fraction). I take many supplements to help w/the memory thing and boost the imm sys. I fnd 8 mnths of Taxotere stayed w/me for yrs. I wld say to my onc, I know it sounds crazy, but I still have dp muscle pain in my legs and arms just like when I was on Taxo. Not crazy, he said, other patients have reported the same thing, w/lingering side effects. The end of chemo is the end. The gd news being, I pray, the lingering eff on the bad cells remains.

My onc has put me on PERFUSIA (WHICH IS ARGENINE 380 -- ONLY 1 PILL A DAY, to keep my EF up). You can buy it cheaper, but he prefers the quality of that particular brand. My admittedly long supplement list and to which I attribute much of my "success" -- is in VITAMIN D thread, I think. Otherwise check my posts in general -- for Spiritual upliftment and more.

Docs should listen to you, despite what you'e ON! No side effects are minor or worthy of being ignored!

I had tram flap reconst w/mastec and never had a problem -- Taxotere and Herceptin, Shingles and all the nastiest of side effects aside (from the Taxo and Shingles NOT from the Herceptin). I do have a lowering of my red bld count (HGB) and when it gets 11ish they give me Aranesp. (Used to be under 12, but new rules.) That $7000 injection makes me perky again and keeps me up for mnths. Again, read my supplement list mentioned above for some real ENERGY BOOSTERS + improved brain function from my onc/supllement expert.

MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE. Head to toe, including hair, 2X a day, every day! Makes a world of difference. Vasoline, or Ayr oitment for nose dryness. I use CUREL on feet, body. I use Clinique Deep Comfort for hands at least twice a day! Occasionally Sudafed for drippy nose, but generally only when eating and a tissue is needed. My immune sys and energy have improved w/the onc's suggestions --- Phyto Formula, NADH (see list under other post). Could be in 11.3 HGB and shaky thread! Poor healing for me too. No back or shoulder pain. That could be stress. I do take Effexor (anti-depressant). Used to take Zoloft. This helps tremendously. Though never was a pill popper, bc changed that. My doc tells me YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SUFFER. You don't get extra points for suffering. So I decided to love myself and be extra good to myself.

I take 1 Ativan a day, at night (mood elevator, relaxes the 100 mph brain). I deserve a good night's sleep at the very least. Aids in healing (studies show a good night's sleep is essential to good health) AND in functioning the next day! Otherwise I'm useless and miserable. Use sleeping pill as well. Sounds like a lot of pills, and I wish I didn't need them, but w/them my QOL is vastly improved. So seems like a no brainer to me. YOU MUST TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU, without overdosing, of course, under the guidance of a medical professional.

Leg cramps have gone. Used to have to jump up and press on the ball of my foot for a few seconds and it went away. Hurts a lot, but easily omitted. I do take a muscle relaxant (Flexerol) nightly as well. Maybe that's why that's vanished. No more reflux, but did take Prilosec and it helped that issue. No bld blisters in mouth (except from Taxotere). My eyes do get worse but I'm a lot older, and others on chemo have reported this. I had excellent eyesight until around 42. Then needed glasses, like most that age. Dx at 50 -- 12 yrs ago. See my signature for my med hist.

Yes, Tamoxifen can and does have many side effects. Those who tk it for 5 yrs and stopped only then noticed how much better they felt. Address ea side effect one at a time and try, w/a gd, caring onc to remedy ea one! You owe that to yourself! You've been through hell and back and you deserve a heap of respect for not crumbling ino bitternss!

Herceptin is not a chemo, and doesn't get enough respect, but I tell my docs that -- I'M IN UNCHARTED WATERS HERE. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT COMES FROM WHAT WITH THIS MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY, SO DON'T DISCOUNT ANY THING I REPORT. I'm a guinea pig, writing the books that will come out on this. HELP ME. IF YOU DON'T HELP ME, WHO WILL.

I did see Pegram (and Slamon) on a trip out to Calif. They're the developers of the drug and Slamon discovered the misbehaving, defective gene that is responsible for 20% of bc. The SMART BOMB they developed targets only that messed up gene, leaving other cells alone, letting us keep our hair, BUT... Potential heart problems -- so ECHO every 3 mnths, then 4 mnths, then 6 mnths, NOW I've graduated to annually. Due in Aug. Herceptin is mostly a cake walk. A highly tolerable chemo/monoclonal antibody. When my doc gets snippy and says You're not on chemo, I say, I know -- I'm on a monoclonal antibody. Where exactly is the monoclonal antibody room? I keep winding up in the chemo room with all the other chemo patients. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT, DOC.

The energy thing is the major prob for me w/Herceptin and now that's been greaty improved w/ the supplements!

What are "plasters"???????????????

If your onc won't listen to you, I'm sorry to say -- you need to find another, more compassionate doc! You owe that to yourself, with or without Herceptin, just in general. Anything less is just inexcusable behavior. Where's their humanity for God sake????

Glad you felt free to rant. Any time. We're all here for one another.

Sending loving, healing, happy energy your way... ANDI

I hot flash since I'm 42 and hate it. Take a # of things to relieve it. Ea contributes a tad. If I stop any one, they get worse. Went to endrocrinologist finally who said could be indication of high bld sgr, and so it proved to be so. Now on med for that, caught before becoming diabetic, but clinically high -- in normal range now w/med. Memory way better w/supplements recommended.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote