Thread: liver cleansing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
madubois63

I haven't looked at the link Mgarr posted, but I've had 2 bouts of near liver failure with bilirubin readings over 10 and 12 and have been greener than one could imagine would be possible. My bilirubin is now <1.

Yes, Bill is correct in saying stay away from Tylenol and aspirin - not good for the liver!!! I take milk thistle 2x a day. Dandelion has been used for centuries to cleanse the liver. You can purchase it as a tea or eat the greens. My mom always boiled it and used olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon on it. I remember the first day I had the relapse to my liver/lungs. My mom freaked out (of course) and ran to the store to get dandelion. She not only made me eat the greens, but she made me drink the juice - no sugar. YUCK!!! The greens are bitter and it is an acquired taste.

I drink lots of water and green tea - both very good for the liver.

Here is a copy of a liver cleansing diet - just some suggestions:
Liver Cleansing Diet

Free Liver Cleansing Diet Plan

The liver cleansing diet involves eating foods rich in nutrients that support the liver, while eating foods that are organic, easy to digest and rich in water and compounds that cleanse the liver. It is a great alternative to the traditional methods of liver cleansing, as it does not require you to buy specialized herbal supplements.

There are a few general thoughts and guidelines that will get you started. You'll find, for instance, that there are foods that will make your liver work harder, and thus wear them down faster. Full-fat dairy products, things that contain lots of processed vegetable oils, deep-fried foods, and highly preserved meats all fall into this category. If you do want to eat them, make sure that you counteract them by eating oats, grains and replacing your dairy products with soy and rice milk wherever possible.

Buy foods in their natural state as much as possible. That doesn't mean going to a farm and digging up the potatoes yourself, but when you visit the store, walk towards the fresh fruit and vegetables section, and avoid the packaged meals completely.

Your Liver Cleansing Foods

The first food for the liver cleansing diet is actually a drink. Water is the most important "food" you can take in during your liver cleanse, as it provides a solvent to dissolve toxins, and carry them away in the form of urine. Adding freshly-squeezed lemon, or lemon juice to your water will help the liver produce more bile, which fills the gallbladder and flushes both organs of toxins and parasites.

The second drink that's great for the liver is green tea. Green tea is rich in catechins, a form of antioxidant that protects organs from DNA damage, cancer and tumor formation. Scientific studies have suggested that the catechins in green tea can protect the liver from disease. Aim for an organic form of green tea, which hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, and you'll have an excellent replacement for regular tea and coffee, which cleanses and supports your liver at the same time!

Antioxidants also protect the liver from free radicals produced during the detoxification process. A great source of antioxidants are fruits, in particular prunes, berries, citrus fruits and apples and pears. Not only do these fruits contain many micronutrients that protect and support the liver, they are water rich, which create an additional source of fluid for diluting and detoxifying the blood, and flushing the liver.

Focus on dark green leafy vegetables while cleansing your liver. Not only are these the most nutrient rich forms of vegetable, they are rich in chlorophyll, which is iron-rich, and helps the body to detoxify faster. Leafy vegetables such as spinach, dandelion and kale, are a rich source of antioxidants, magnesium, iron, folic acid and vitamins A, C, E and K.

If you can prepare these vegetables raw in a salad, that's even better for your liver health. The second-best alternative is steaming the vegetables, and if you prefer cooked vegetables during your liver cleanse, opt for the cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collard greens, bok choy, kale and watercress. Not only are vegetables rich in fiber and vitamin C, they also contain anti-tumor and anti-cancer compounds, such as selenium.

Other vegetables that are good for the liver include artichokes, which stimulates the production of bile, beets which cleanse the blood, and put less stress on the liver, and sulphur-rich foods such as onions and garlic, which support the liver in detoxifying heavy metals and excess hormones.

While you would benefit from avoiding fatty foods, essential fatty acids are vital for your liver cleansing diet. These include foods such as flaxseed oil, olive oil, hemp oil, rapeseed oil and fish oils. Pour them over your cooked vegetables, take them as supplements or transform them into salad dressings to stimulate bile production and lubricate the liver and gallbladder.

Another superfood for the liver is spirulina. This is a form of algae which comes from lakes and ponds, and is used by vegetarians as a complete protein source. It is easier to digest than animal proteins, and helps the liver because its rich in nutrients such as selenium, essential fatty acids, manganese, copper, zinc, beta-carotene, B-complex vitamins and vitamin E. Recent scientific reports have linked the spirulina with protecting against liver damage.

The liver cleansing diet can be done at home, alongside a herbal detoxification program. A herbal liver detox, combined with the healthy liver cleansing diet simply amplifies the benefits your liver - and the rest of your body will receive.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote