View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Westcoastgirl

Re: I'm trying to think positive

Skip, we have all been where you and your wife are but my goodness you two have had more than your share of grief to deal with in the last wee bit of time. It helps us to know more about your wife's cancer so people can respond in kind. See our signatures below our responses. I found it helped a lot to speak/write to long time survivors with a similar diagnosis to mine. This site is invaluable for support and information. You could not have come to a better place. I have met so many women that are stage IV during my travels with my breast cancer and have been amazed at their attitudes. They have helped me more than I could ever help them. I have made it a bit of a hobby to collect examples of stage IV cancer survivors that are years and years out from diagnosis. So far my "best" find is 20 years out so you see there is hope even in those situations that seem dire. Every year our chances get better and better. One piece of good advice I got at the beginning was to realize the research on the internet is about ten years out of date. Here you will find the cutting edge results. Please read through the site here and you will see that many have fought the good fight and are still living and breathing warriors. There are many books out there about cancer that talk about positive attitude and how beneficial it is in the fight against cancer. Do you need some titles? Take each day as it comes and know that there will be sad days. I cried often at the beginning and felt hopeless and still feel sad some days but must say the times I laughed and felt joy far outnumber the bad days. I don't like the cliches of breast cancer was a gift....good grief....who would want it but the truth of the matter is my perceptions of what is important in life, how dear my loved ones are has come home to me and I fret about those small things in life so much less. I glory to feel the wind and see the sun. Just be patient with your wife, listen, hold her and she will begin to see the light. Take care.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote