Thread: shingles
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 AM   #15
Matt

Hi Rinaina:

I've just recently been told that I have shingles. I've been run-down lately and under alot of stress from work, so even though I haven't been suffering from a previous illness (that I know of), I still managed to get shingles.

I was wondering how you made out? I've managed to get shingles on my upper left forehead. I wasn't at all sure what it was at first, but I knew for sure it wasn't a boo boo (pimple), then the two bumps continued to get bigger and eventually I started to get a series of little bumps which looked like a rash.

I had a swollen gland on the left side of my face, which was actually what I originally saw the doctor for (as the rash wasn't too bad at first and thinking that I had an outbreak of pimples I had the rash covered up with tinted clearsil).

I went to see the doctor who originally thought it was just a swollen gland that might be blocked and that he'd prescribe an antibiotic. However when I asked if the bumps on my noggin' might be connected to the problem (because they both happened around the same time) he said "whoa ... I know exactly what you have ... it's shingles".

Of course it didn't make me feel better that as he said that he backed off like I had the plague or something.
Anyhoo, he prescribed an anti-viral medication called Valtex which is just the brand name for valacyclovir medication. You take 1 tablet three times a day for a week. This is only my 2nd day and I haven't had any side effects from the medication.

My big concern about having it on my face is it's the same nerve pathway for your eyes / ears and could lead to deafness or blindness if the shingles spread.

I realize that I'm a lad probably on the wrong site to be asking for suggestions, but it's the only site I've found online where folks are talking about shingles. I was just wondering how you made out and if you have any suggestions for the pain?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote