View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
annettchen

Re: news from ASCO-- some joyous, some a downer--may set things back a bit

Not sure - I do know that she has other BC patients - not sure she has MBC, and definitely did not have anyone on the Herceptin / Perjeta combo - understandably so, given P. was only approved for 1st line MBC a couple of months ago in Ontario.

I have considered switching to Princess Margret (which has a large, fairly well known BC abd other research "branch"; given that, you can get early access to trials; I have also gone for molecular profiling there).

At this point, though, I figure everyone would have done what my onco did (at least the second opinion absolutely concurred) - and not having to drive downtown for every chemo is a plus when you have a 5 year old daughter.

Only, if I had not protested loudly, I might be off first line and on Kadcyla now... Also wondered whether the approach to treat fire with fire is what should be done. It's the old adage: once you're MBC, you're palliative by definition (even though years ago Hortobagy noticed that there IS some patients that are actually "cured" - for all intents and purposes). At any rate, I don't think we're making a mistake with the current first line treatment. And hope, of course, that it will keep me stable for a long time. Once that is not the case any more, we'll have to reconsider. I already wondered whether Houston would be an option...

It's all complicated... Is SO wish for my old, simple life back. Oh well, it is what it is...

Annette
04/2014: Started 6 cycles of "PHD" (Perjeta, Herceptin, Docetaxol)
07/2014: Finished 6 cycles of PHD; restaging; 2 bone mets are sclerotic - looks like Herceptin and Perjeta is working
10/2014: STABLE!
01/2015: STABLE!
04/2015: STABLE!
08/2015: STABLE!
12/2015: BRAIN METS. BODY STABLE.
annettchen is offline   Reply With Quote