View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
KristinSchwick

Re: Stable...do I stop taxol and stay on just herceptin/zometa

Kim,
Like you I have isolated bone mets that are *fingers crossed* stable or regressing (no scans planned, just going off tumor markers) and I was initially ER-, PR- and Her-2+. But after my doctor discovered the bone mets slow growing behavior, he retested my lymph nodes and found it was now ER+. He said that it is very unlike ER- cancer to stay isolated and grow slowly in the bones, it is much more typical of ER+ cancer. I'm sharing this because it is worth mentioning to your doctor as ER+ mets are really responsive to hormone therapy.

It had never occurred to me- but it is not uncommon for mixed cancer types, especially if you had two areas of cancer in your breast initially.

As far as treatment, like you I stopped the big guns awhile ago and am really enjoying life on Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara- and I just got my ovaries out. My doc also wants me to stop the Tykerb, but I'm hanging onto the hope that the double Her-2 attack will prove useful in my battle. I totally agree that breaks from chemo are necessary, its good to reserve our energy so that we can be ready for the new drugs they are developing for us, and to clear out bodies of all the nasty chemo side effects. I'm all about quality of life.

Best of luck in your battle. Great name (BTW), my sister's name is Kim too.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote