Thread: Melatonin
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
donocco

Re: Melatonin

Spitfire

You have to talk to your doctor first. My educated pharmacist guess is yes. Not only is it probably safe, it may well be beneficial. Melatonin has been used to treat cancers at very high doses. Metastatic Melanoma pts (in one experiment got (I think) 700mg daily. If this figure is not correct I can tell you the dosage was very high.

As far as breast cancer goes, there was an article in a medical journal (it may well have been the New England Journal of medicine) that found a higher breast cancer rate
in nurses who worked the night shift. Normally melatonin secretion greatly increases in the night. It was believed the increase in breast cancer seen was due to the decreased
melatonin surge in these night shift working nurses.

This may be a non sequiter but my springer spaniel developed a tumor on his flank. We had it removed. It wasnt cancer but it contained spindle cells. If a benighn lesion is given a value of 1 and a malignant lesion, 10 a spindle cell tumour is a 6. It doesnt metastasize but it regrows, wraps itself around the tissues and is difficult to eradicate.
I gave my dog (Beethoven- my wife loves me but she adores Beethoven-sometimes I actually get jealous) 5mg melatonin chewable (Beethoven likes the taste) every night as
a preventative

Well the tumor grew back. We had it removed and biopsied. No spindle cells at all!
This is pathologically, almost impossible. I cangt say for sure it was the Melatonin but I do think it was. One case proves nothing. Yet Spindle cell tumours virtually always come back as spindle cell tumours. Still you have to discuss tis with the oncologist

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote