View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #47
dlaxague

Hi Alaska Angel,

I'd take this offlist as I don't think many are still interested, but I can't seem to find how to do that. I also can't figure out how to make this conversational, with your words and mine clearly differentiated. I've put >> before your words, and nothing before mine.

>>I think the guidelines are based on a large group of people who have bc, most of whom will never benefit from markers because most would never recur.

So, a semi-humbug from you? Laughing! I don't think it has anything to do with those who don't recur. The studies upon which the guidelines are based address those who do recur, and they find no difference between those whose recurrence is detected by scans/markers or by symptoms. I'm beginning to feel broken record-ish.

>>>And the last I heard, HER2 still isn't shown as being a defined risk factor in Adjuvant, etc.

I haven't been to "Adjuvant!" for awhile, but there used to be a discussion about HER2 and you could add to the risk by going to "prognostic factors", I think, and put whatever you thought HER2 increased the risk by, although I think there was some suggestion that it was by less than 2-fold. But now with adjuvant Herceptin, that's a moot point. (those of us who did not get Herceptin will never know what the increase to risk was for us, I guess - although - maybe it WILL be in Adjuvant, when the benefit of adjuvant Herceptin is shown - showing up as as opposed to no Herceptin, like he does for the various chemos, vs none - hmmm). Anyway, I assume he's waiting for more survival stats for Herceptin's adjuvant use, but that's just a guess. Who goes to SABCS? Peter Ravdin's pretty advocate-friendly, we could ask him when he'll put HER2 in Adjuvant!.

>>But since the greatest risk for reccurrence with HER2's initially is in the first 2 years (and I don't think that is true for the broader group of all bc), since there is no guideline that is based on studies for HER2s alone, wouldn't it make sense to use markers for HER2's for the first 2 years at least?

Well, hmm. I don't think it's just HER2 that has higher, earlier risk, although you're right it's not ALL bc. I think that basal/triple-negative is as early/high as HER2, if not more-so now with Herceptin in the picture for adjuvant HER2+. And any ERPR negative tends to recur earlier (although again, those graphs are from pre adjuvant herceptin days). It fascinates me to look at these graphs of recurrence timing but what I've noticed is that they tend to stratify by only one detail - ERPR, or HER2, or triple negative - but rarely by, say both ERPR and HER2.

And again, if the principal holds, I don't know why it would be any different for an early vs. late recurrence. Scans/markers improve outcome, or they don't - regardless of when the recurrence happens. Or maybe not. In fact, it could be argued that earlier recurrences are more likely to be faster-growing (more aggressive) and so the interval between being able to pick them up with scans/markers, before symptoms might be quite short. If that's true (and I'm only speculating that it might be), then IF scan/marker detection made a difference, you'd have to be doing them pretty darn often to benefit from that difference.

I notice that there are two meaning to "early" mets. "Early", as when relatively small and/or not causing symptoms. Or "early" as in within the first few years. No point to that noticing - just an observation of one place we might misunderstand ourselves.

This has been a fascinating, though sometimes painful, discussion. I'm wondering how many on this list, post-adjuvant primary treatment, did use scans or markers as part of their routine (asymptomatic) follow up. I did not, except once and that was without my knowledge/understanding.

Debbie Laxague
3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote