View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Lori R

Re: SRS and liver met

Jackie,
I don't have first hand information to share with you, but I did want you to know that SRS was discussed as a potential option for my single liver met.

During my consultation at the University of Colorado medical center, the fact that I continued to battle a single liver met and was in great physical condition...we opted for the "gold standard" and went for the liver resection. Unfortunately, during the resection the surgeon was able to identify cancerous nodes that did not appear on scans. Oh well....I am glad I went for the gusto. I know I tried everything. But, surgery does come with significant risks.

During the consultation, the radiologist who would have managed the SRS treatment said the average progression free results were in the 3-5 years. I believe the challenge is stabalizing the liver as it moves when we breath. Also, uncertainty as to how the liver reacts to radiation.

Do NOT let anyone count you out because of breast cancer vs. colon cancer. There was a hint of reluctance in my case as well. When the Drs. saw that I was realistic about what the surgery might buy me, they were all in for moving forward.

Keep on fighting for what is in your heart. Good Drs. will direct you. It was the radiologist who suggested the surgery as she thought given the available data it seemed like the best option.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote