View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #535
karenl

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

So glad that you started this post!!!! I had invasive ductul carcinoma and ductual cacrinoma in situ. 2.5cm grade 3 invasive and DCIS grade 2, 0/4 nodes. er+,pr+ her 2.5. I had a mastectomy On January 25, 2010 and started carboplatin taxatere and herceptin starting on March 2, 2010 and concluding the CT on June 1, 2011 and herception on December 27th. (terminited myself 3 sessions early). I began to feel the treatments the second round of chemo, the twitching of the eyes, the numbness and tingeling in the hands and feet, dry skin, vision problems, bone and muscle pain, water retention. thin cracking nails, thinning of skin ealsiy bled and also my breathing felt shallow. My memory was effected and I used different words then what I intended. My hip kept on dislocating during treatment. It was all blamed on the chemo!! I also had abdominal swelling. I took alpha liphoic acid and B-6 for the nerve damage and water pills for the water retention. No one ever address the concern that from my hips down my legs felt so heavy and hurt! At 51 yrs. I felt like I was 90 years old. I had to take adavin to sleep at night. I Kept exercising was running, walking and finally switched to yoga as my running was interrupted by my pain and hip displacement. I had contacted some virus around Christmas and could not make my next scheduled appt. due to the virus, then I missed the next one and started feeling the pain going away, my vision being restored and my hip not going out!!! I figured it was from the herception, as I was already 6 months past the chemo. I am so glad that I am off of the drug!!! Now I am hesitant about starting the ferma, I just want to give my body a break. They can reduce breastcncer, but then you damage your body in other ways!! I don't know what is better! I have to sit with my new onc and at this point discuss my recurrance rate with out the Ferna after I do a heart scan and bone density test.
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote