View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
TanyaRD

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Hi Diane,
Please don't feel badly about taking the supplements during the times you also received herceptin. Nutrition can be a frustrating area because there is so much we don't know and it is always changing. Just when we think we've figured something out an new drug or new version of the drug comes out and we start over :-) Herceptin works differently than systemic chemo and therefore we probably don't need to be as cautious about antioxidants during those infusions. I still err on the side of caution but I would encourage you not to allow this to be a source of concern. I am not aware of any interaction between Vitamin E and herceptin. I looked at the AOR and AHCC supplements and AOR appears to be moderate in its antioxidant content. I wasn't able to find an ingredient list for AHCC but gather it is a mushroom blend. While it is not an area of specialty for me I find the research on mushroom properties to be interesting and have monitored patients who chose to take them during treatment without problems noted. As for matcha green tea I am encouraged by green tea research in generally and specifically with regards to the EGCG and blood supply to tumors. Very high antioxidant blends should be used with caution during systemic chemo though. As for taking curcumin after herceptin I generally recommend waiting 2-4 weeks.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote