View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Lori R

Re: Cyberknife for liver mets?

Michka,
While it must be frustrating to feel as if you are not making immediate progress, you actually have made a significant amount!!

Just to validate the information you are receiving from the surgeons. I too have been told that resection is not the "standard", so that response is not uncommon. I am certain that if I want to puruse the resection path, I will have to be my own advocate and look outside of my current Drs. Definately will require pushing.

Hmmmm....Cyberknife vs RFA/Cryo. The advances made with Cyberknife provide for treating an organ that moves (liver) vs one that remains stable (brain). As you can imagine, treating a moving target is much more difficult. So....you want to make sure if you choose the Cyberknife route that you go to a VERY experienced location. You need to ask the Dr. how many times he/she has treated someone with a liver met, what the short term and long term outcome was. (there is so much $ associated with medicine in the U.S. I am always trying to ensure that the recommendation is in my best interest and not the interest of the facilities wallet)

My Onc. was not supportive of Cyberknife because the center here in Denver had just opened. Also, she indicated that Cyberknife kills the portion of the liver it treats.

As you know....we ultimately chose Cryo over RFA.

I have scans next week and if I come back NED, I will be more of a proponent of cryo.

Please think of any and all questions that you possibly can and take the list with you. Force the Drs. to give you answers so you can feel that you made an informed decision.

You are almost there with a decision!!!! Wishing you all the best!!

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote