View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Debbie L.

Re: Sentinel node biopsy tomorrow...

Dear CRB. I think the main trouble is that as you can tell from the variety of responses, it's hard to predict how any one person will feel after SNB.

I had nodes removed several weeks prior to mastectomy, under general (but it was a very short procedure so there wasn't much anesthesia). I went home right afterwards, and I kept working (and driving). With a drain in place, work was a little awkward and uncomfortable but totally do-able (if they just take one node, you may not have a drain, anyway). Ibuprofen controlled the discomfort okay.

I think that often, the "no driving" thing is the MD covering themselves liability wise. Especially if you're not taking pain meds, I see no reason why you couldn't drive, if YOU feel like you're okay to do so.

But again, the hard part is the unpredictability. Maybe you could cancel Monday and then wait and see about Tuesday? Or give your patients a heads-up that you might be canceling?

As for why/whether to biopsy nodes now, I think the jury is still out on how best to handle that. It could be argued that unless it's going to change treatment, there's no reason to biopsy before chemo.

Good luck tomorrow, you'll be in my thoughts. Let us know how it goes, okay?

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote