View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Lani

Re: Looking for Answers from Christine or other long term Herceptin users

some have gone off herceptin after 7 or 8 years--there is a previous thread.

Try to use the search function above to look for it. As I recall all but one did just fine.

Neuropathy (late- developing) has not been described in those on herceptin for years from my reading although it may be on the herceptin label(occurrences as rare as 1 in 300,000 have to be listed) Those occuring in >10%% or >1% are usually listed as such).

Are you certain there is no other reason for your neuropathy? Herceptin has even been found helpful in leprosy where it can cause REmyelination!

Were/are you on any antihormonals? Even if not, chemo throws many/most into premature menopause and lack of estrogen can be a cause of dry peeling skin.

Are you taking any herbs/supplements? Those who make them are "grandfathered in" and don't have to put all ingredients on the label. There may be something in them or their "fillers" causing your symptoms. Many /most ingredients for them and even for pharmaceuticals are being outsourced to China where contamination could occur(think of the melamine in the cat food/ milk powder)

A trial of stopping everything but your herceptin may be in order--but then you didn't mention other health problems (diabetes could cause your symptoms) and of course you would not want to stop other medications without checking with your doctor.

Just food for thought

I am sure someone will chip in and find the link to the previous thread on stopping herceptin after years of use in Stage IVs. Good luck and let us know what Dr. Slamon says if you see him!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote