Act fair
Think long
Laugh loud
Hug strong
Plan bold
Dream far
Feel loved
You are.

"In 1985 when Nancy Emerson was diagnosed with breast cancer, her doctor gave her a life expectancy of only two years. But that grim statistic did not take into account Nancy's indominitable spirit. In fact, that year Nancy was just beginning a remarkable and inspiring journey across almost two decades and becoming an extraordinary spokesperson and champion, advocating for patient rights, lobbying to secure more funding for cancer research and treatment, and supporting and encouraging other cancer patients and their families."

I learned about Nancy when volunteering for a week with www.LittlePink.org (who provide free retreats for families battling breast cancer) and like the message of her poem. I'm no poet but her beautiful thoughts got me in the mood to write one of my own this morning:

Her2 positive cancer can knock you down and keep on knocking you down and dragging you around to places you do not want to go. Get back up. be brave, and fight, fight, fight.

Insurance companies can try patience and make things harder and more wearisome than they are already or have to be. Document and keep calling, calling, calling.

Doctors can mess up or lack expertise or run out of options. Find another doctor as necessary and move on, move on, move on.

Hurting people sometimes spew bitter, spiteful poison out of hurting hearts. It's like acid and can eat the giver and receiver alive if one lets it. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

Negativity is very toxic stuff. Be like a duck and let it roll off your back like water. Waddle on over and choose to swim in the lovely sunshine instead. Quack, quack, quack.

--Paula
“We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don’t give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going” 2 Cor 4:8-9
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote