View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Paula O

Re: Fun Free Opportunities/resources for Breast Cancer patients

http://www.campkesem.org./

This a a great , free week long overnight summer camp for kids with a parent with cancer (or who has died from cancer). It is held in different states by University students who support it through fund raisers and who run the whole thing. This past year they opened it to kids up to age 16. (The web site I just checked that is linked above says it is up to age 13 so I don't know if there's a change so I sent an email to inquire). I believe the application process begins in January for camp next summer--we squeeked in at the last minute before camp started because I heard about it late. Apparently slots fill up fast usually.

This is an awesome camp experience: the Camp Kesem my girls attended in Florida is usually used as a Girl Scout Camp. It had a zip line, rock climbing wall, boating, swimming pool, air conditioned cabins, all sorts of fun activities along with no-pressure sessions where kids could open up about their feelings about cancer if they wanted to and were able to connect with peers with similar experiences. It was a fun and refreshing time for two of my children who participated. Kids are welcome to attend more than one year and the couselors seemed outstanding.

Our kids go through so much right along with us, what a blessing to have an outreach addressed specifically to their needs!
Paula

Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote