View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
NEDenise

Re: 4th chemo Taxotere/Herceptin having trouble

Britbee,
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I was almost exactly where you are...about 6 months ago...the joint and bone pain from the Taxol (similar to Taxotere) was agonizing. I sat and cried too. I was terrified to go back after only two weeks too. I was taking a prescription painkiller (oxy-something) and was still in the type of pain you are describing.

It wasn't until I told the oncologist that I was considering not getting the next infusion, for fear of the pain, that she advised me to take Advil...600 mg every 6 hours...that I agreed to continue. She too had been concerned about masking a fever, but weighed the alternative and conceded.

It did not relieve the pain entirely, but it took it down to a dull ache. I could sleep...I didn't feel like crying all the time...it allowed me to get the rest of my infusions.

So...I guess I want to tell you two things...YOU ARE NOT A WHINER!!!...this pain is real, and worse than any pain I've ever had (including migraine and childbirth!) And second...please tell your doctor ASAP so you can get some relief. This kind of pain is not good for you, your heart, or your emotional health. Many people have no pain at all from these drugs, so your doctor may not even realize you are suffering so much if you don't speak up. Don't be "brave"...I can tell you tend toward that...get the relief you deserve.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this. Please let us all know how you make out.
Denise

PS- Love your avatar picture! What a great smile!
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote