View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Heathcliff4

To PET or not to PET?

Hi Ladies,

I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary and my oncologist has me scheduled for one last PET scan next month. The last time she and I spoke, we mentioned that after this scan, we do a blood test or wait for symptoms because studies show that it does not improve your odds if you catch it sooner.

So, my question is: Why do the PET at all? I know one other gal who was treated at UCSF while I was who is also HER2+, stage 2 and her doc doesn't order scans anymore and actually hasn't in at least a year. Although, I do love getting the results that say everything is fine, I dread the lead up to it. And, I've been pretty happy the last 6 months getting my health back. I don't want to feel amazing but be told my body is quietly destroying me (as it was when I was diagnosed).

You ladies are experts, so I'd love your feedback before I reach out to my doc about it.

Thanks,

8/2013 Diagnosed age 42 with boys aged 2.5 and 6, Stage 11b, 1 cm her2+++, 30% ER positive, 5% PR positive, Rt Breast. Also DCIS in second spot of rt breast, high grade.
9/2013 Bilateral mastectomy, 3 nodes positive
10/13 Started AC/TH, Perjeta and Herceptin
1/14 Finished Chemo
3/14 Radiation, 5 weeks
4/14 Started Tamoxifen
6/14 Discontinued Tamoxifen due to extreme joint pain, exhaustion and depression
6/14 Started Exemestane and Zolodex shots to suppress ovaries
11/14 Finished Herceptin
11/14 Discontinued Exemestane due to similar side effects as Tamoxifen.
1/15 Reconstruction
3/15 CT Scan (routine) shows possible liver mets.
3/15 PET/CT scan shows no mets - huge sigh of relief
4/15 Began Letrozole. Knee and hip joint discomfort but minimal. Otherwise, knocking on wood - so far, so good!
Heathcliff4 is offline   Reply With Quote