Thread: After Herceptin
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
1rarebird

Re: After Herceptin

Helen--It sounds like your oncologist and mine are singing from the same song book. Even though mine has done tumor markers and other blood work on me twice since I finished Herceptin last summer, he told me that my body will tell me if I metastasize or otherwise recur. Any lumps that I notice or persistent pain I experience will be the clues, according to the good doctor. My doctor also told me that the statistical evidence points to no correlation between the time a recurrence is first detected and overall survival.

(I will note that my surgeon at my one year anniversary did order a PET for me since he wanted to compare it to the one done at my diagnosis. It showed no changes but did confirm I still had a serious thyroid problem that eventually led to another surgery.)

So I guess we watch and pray as the days roll by. Each one is a precious gift and we can look forward to the time in the future others on this board have said will come when our anxiety diminishes. --bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote