View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
evergreen

Re: I just found out I have breast cancer

I had a drain for lumpectomy and it was no big deal. Nurses checked and cleaned it regularly, and it comes out when drainage slows.
Re lymphedema, I had lymph nodes out, and it is a risk. I bought a book that helps me prevent it happening...Lymphedema, by J Burt and G White, pub. 2005. I'm sure there are many books around. Some basic principles of do's and do nots, help with prevention. I also go for lymphatic massages about every other month, to a registered massage therapist recommended by my oncologist. She measured my arm in regular intervals, as a baseline should I develop any problems. A lot of these things sound scarier when you are trying to learn all this stuff. So far I have been OK.
Best of luck, and try to take it a day at a time!
Eating foods thought to fight cancer, exercising every other day,using my garden as my mecca of peace, and loving my supportive husband more than ever.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote