View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Chelee

Re: Ports...which is the best?

Shelia, After hearing what Lizbeth said and now you...I'm not so sure I want one. I only wanted the power port for the contrast dyes for brain MRI's and PET/CT's to make things easier. It really is a hassle for me. The idiot that put my port in my arm last time said "oops" when he placed it...then he quietly ran away. (I'm serious!)
Later I found out he said oops because he ended up cutting on my arm in the wrong place to begin with...then he put the port in backwards. There were orders for no one to touch my port for 3 wks after that. What a mess. It still worked but that's not the point. I don't know if it was the guys first day on the job or they just grabbed a janitor to come put one in? lol

I'll be checking certificates and proof from the person that installs mine this time...no joke. That power port must be awful large...now I think I'll just stick with the Bard...it's so small and I have a feeling they are going to have to place mine above my collarbone or something. My chest last time was off limits because they are afraid of puncturing a lung due to some under-developed ribs. Nothing goes easy for me.

I pray they do mine right this time...I was told my port would be able to be accessed right way like they did with you...but that never happened. I have pictures of my arm...it's pretty nasty, & was very sore for a long time afterwards.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote