View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #32
Joannie

SheryG:
I have been on the TEACH Trial since May of 2007. The diarrhea was pretty constant in the beginning, but never so bad that I had to take any meds to stop it. It was on and off over a 3 month period and has mostly subsided. It flares up from time to time, probably due to something I have eaten. The acne like situation was quite bad in the beginning. My entire face was broken out. I was on the verge of asking for meds to get it to settle down and then it subsided. I have had other minimal side effects, mostly in the beginning but they were all short lived. So far, so good for me on this trial. Compared to the standard treatment of A/C and Taxol, this has been a breeze for me. I have tolerated it well. I too worry about reoccurance, that is why I pursued this trial. I was unable to get Herceptin because it was approved after I completed all of my treatment. I never felt at east not getting the Herceptin. It has been successful for so many. I have gotten some piece of mind taking the Tykerb and feel more at ease that I have done everything I can. I am coming up on five years in April of my diagnosis. In the beginning, I never thought I woud see 5 years, but each year I gain more confidence that mets is not always inevitable. I have learned so very much from this website and I am greatful for all the information available here. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
4 Rounds of AC - dose dense
4 Rounds of Taxol - dose dense
Removed right breast prophalactically
Full reconstruction with implants/nipples
No Late Herceptin Received
Started Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2007
Completed Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2008