View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
Melinda

First Chemo today Taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

Today was my first chemo. I started taking the decadron the day before to prevent any allergic reactions. I am to take that until tomorrow. They put Aloixi and benadryl in my cocktail to prevent nausea. It was a long day.8AM to 5PM all at the hospital. I had an echocardiogram and blood work done. Apparently my ONC nurse told me I was a "one sticker" meaning she did not want anyone else using my veins except her. I have no port as yet. I go back tomorrow for Neulasta. I work around elderly and teenagers (retirement community) and they felt my risk of infection my be greater. They also gave me two prescriptions for nausea in case I need it. One Zofran and the other Tigan. THe difference being in price. Apparently thought they tell me the zofran works better. My guess.... its the expensive one. Two weeks form today I go for a RBC count. All in all the only thing I think is visible is that I am not sleepy for having gone through such a long day. I was also very agitated aboaut having to wait so long before the actual IV was started. They tell you once you get there it will take 4-41/2 hours, but that does not include waiting for the ONC to talk to you or review you file.
ONe thing I was told however was that haviang the chemo in his complex (inside the hospital) was not considered "outpatient". I bring this up becasue soem insurance probably including my Personal choice does not pay as much of the bill in this circumstance. You can bet I will be on the phone on Monday to find out all the particulars such as expense versus location...or just a crazy IBX personal choice rule?????
I hope I feel this good the rest of the week, but they did warn me that side effects kick inlater. Hear is hoping for the best and being prepared for the worst.
Thanks for eveyones support!
MElinda
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote