View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Dinogirl

Melinda,

I was diagnosed March 2006 (at age 52), and I received 1 cycle Taxotere and Cytoxan, then 3 more Taxotere, Cytoxan, Herceptin every 3 wks with Herceptin to continue every three weeks for one year. I am node neg IDC 6 mm lumpectomy her 2 fish positive. There is a good article on breastcancer.org about Taxotere/Cytoxan. I don't know why I received Cytoxan instead of Carboplatin. Anyway, my onc and I discussed using the above to avoid Adriamycin due to possible cumulative heart effects with Adriamycin followed by Herceptin, and so we could start the Herceptin right away instead of waiting until after the Adriamycin. I received Aloxi before each chemo, so no nausea. I received Neulasta the day after each chemo session, had no infections or dangerously low counts. (Be aware of recent literature relating increased incidence of leukemia with Neulasta, though not conclusive as I remember) Hemoglobin went from 14 to 10 (after last chemo), then popped right back up to 13 with no red cell stimulation. I stayed home from work for 2 weeks after each treatment, went into hibernation with Darvocet when needed. (mostly for the leg pain from Neulasta). I remember insomnia for the first few days after treatment (probably from the Decadron)

My understanding is that there is a 20% incidence of distant mets even though node neg, I was in a grey area also, but went for the max treatment we thought safe in my case.

I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Dianne
Dinogirl is offline   Reply With Quote