View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
annettchen

Re: PSA: Get your brain scanned

Agreed. I asked, begged and threatened - my onc did not give me a brain scan. So I went to my family doc, who is the gold star of doctors - and he did. They have found 15 brain mets (albeit small ones, most of them) - even though my onc kept telling me "it's way to early, no way it's in the brain".

No symptoms that anyone would have identified as CNS related - heck, even I'm not sure whether they are... hopefully, time will tell if they go away once the disease is under control in the brain... And my onc is still wondering how I got to have that brain scan...

I will get WBRT - but they say they spare one of the Hippocampus, hoping to reduce side effects. I so fought for SRS - they would have done up to 10 (which is more than most do), but carved in over 10. I'm scared as hell - rad onc got all passive agressie, saying that he was the expert and to believe him that the only side effect I'll see is short term memory loss. I hope I'll live to report back in a year or two...
04/2014: Started 6 cycles of "PHD" (Perjeta, Herceptin, Docetaxol)
07/2014: Finished 6 cycles of PHD; restaging; 2 bone mets are sclerotic - looks like Herceptin and Perjeta is working
10/2014: STABLE!
01/2015: STABLE!
04/2015: STABLE!
08/2015: STABLE!
12/2015: BRAIN METS. BODY STABLE.
annettchen is offline   Reply With Quote