View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #27
Joannie

SherryG:
I too was nervous taking Tykerb. The unknown of what the drug can do is sometimes overwhelming. Since I never received Herceptin, I really was greatful to get the opportunity to try Tykerb. I have to say, for me, I have tolerated it quite well. The diarrhea was the worst side effect. Lasted for 3 months, but not so bad that I even had to take an meds. After 3 months, it has subsided and I only get bouts of diarrhea maybe once every 6 weeks. I think something I eat may set it off. I do get echo cardiograms every 3 months through the trial to monitor my heart. So far, so good. I am on my last three months of Tykerb. My trial will end in April. Compared to standard treatment, this drug has been a piece of cake for me. I pray that this trial will have positive outcome and it can help many women in the future. If you have any other specific questions, please let me know. I have had many side effects, but most were short lived and quite tolerable. Good luck to you and I'm here if you need more info.
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
4 Rounds of AC - dose dense
4 Rounds of Taxol - dose dense
Removed right breast prophalactically
Full reconstruction with implants/nipples
No Late Herceptin Received
Started Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2007