View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #167
Rolepaul

Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

IT Perjeta is still not in clinical trials. Nina is doing well, but has a spot near where they did the excision and Gamma knife in November 2009. In March 2014, it was a dire issue. In April it was maybe an issue. Last week it was probably not an issue. Stressed out for 60 days needlessly. Back to MRI scans once every two months on the brain and spine. So far so good. I looked at the MRI scans from the past four and a half years (wow...that seems short some days and such a long period other days). I saw slight differences over the past year (one little part looks more nodular), but it might be death of cells (like radiation oncology thinks) versus cells regrowing.

Cigna was being a pain but it was because of a new person approving the reviews. Now that is settled. Still, $4500 deductible before out of pocket max met (did that by February 15). Put $2500 into FSA, but other $2,000 comes out of my wallet immediately.

The Perjeta in the brain using Intrathecal means is still not approved. Genentech will not say why. I hope there were some changes that were to be done in terms of dosing to get to 100 mg per dose. We shall see.

It is strange to be working at the plant that is saving so many lives. I spread the word from this blog on the people that are being treated: The mothers that see their children get married, get to see an extra year of sports, that get to hold their grandchildren, that get to take another trip with their significant others, and that just get to see additional summers. I also talk about the side effects of drugs, the desperation of not having good answers, and reading about the more negative outcomes.

This disease is one I would not wish on any person. We are at the forefront of treating it. There are so many new methods coming down the line that the disease is likely to be put into remission on a regular basis in ten years. Much like patients that were fighting infections in the early 1940s as antibiotic manufacturing start, the women that are undergoing treatment in many cases just need a few more years to get great treatment options. I hope that I can shorten the time for new drugs to market, can inform those with issues of options to get additional quality time, and to be part of the strong emotions that this group gives out.

Keep supporting one another, and I will do the same. Traveling 80% of the time since Jan 13, four weeks home M-F but home every Friday night while leaving every Monday morning, is hard. The benefit is that I should be able to review and respond to emails better.

Fight back. Do not give up hope. Ask questions. Get Answers. The impossible happens because medical care people stay inside the box, some doctors think outside the box, but stand on top of the box and use it to get better and be heard.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote