View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
novakoski

First message from me.

Appreciate the update. Original cancer diagnosed 8-00, before Herceptin approved by FDA for early HER-2+ cancers. Went through the whole gamut of neoadjuvant chemo, partial mastectomy on right, no positive nodes, radiation. Couldn't take aromatase inhibitors, so thought was cancer free for 3 years till recurrence showed up in 4-04 with mets to 2 mediastinal nodes. Underwent bilateral mastectomies (left one my choice--why play Russian Roulette with boobs?). Got bumped
up" from Stage IIA to Stage IV because of the mets. Herceptin started along with Taxotere and Carboplatin for the first 6 months. After that was on Herceptin weekly for 3 years till 6-07 with NED the entire time. Oncologist decided to take off Herceptin after 3 years, wait and watch. After only 4 months off Herceptin, had superficial recurrence along original mastectomy incision line with no local or distant spread, so resumed the Herceptin along with Abraxane ( new form of Taxol) weekly 1-28-08.

Have always found the Herceptin far more tolerable than any of the other drugs I've taken. Hope it continues to hold. Tests will tell.

Thanks for being there.
novakoski is offline   Reply With Quote