Thread: Scared to death
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Becky

Dear Louise

I understand your fear even though I still have both of my breasts. I had double lumpectomy with my 1.9cm Her2+ cancer on the right and a low grade HR+ only dcis on the left. Everyday I wonder what I was thinking to keep the girls around. I have totally changed my lifestyle and I keep thinking that since I have seen chemical results of that change (38 lb weight loss, cholesterol than went from 261 to 206, cardiac calcium scoring of 0 etc etc) that there are chemical results in the breasts too and perhaps nothing more will happen to me in that regard. I also had a ooph and I am taking Arimidex but still... I had cancer on both sides and I am not BRCA positive! So, I am seriously considering a bilateral with immediate reconstruction wih DIEP. In the next 6 months I am going to do all my research, doctors etc. I figure that the girls just have to go. It will be an even bigger operation since I will have to have the breasts removed and then reconstruction.

Operations do have their risks but you really have to go into it with the idea that the recon is what you really want. Is it? Would this greatly improve the quality of your life and outlook? If you don't do it, will you regret it more than the anticipation of having the operation? What will you regret more (both short and long term). If you think you will regret not having the surgery but you cancel it anyway, risks get worse as you age. You will always tolerate the operation better the younger you are since, theoretically, you have less additional health issues.

Don't let fear rule this decision. If you are making an informed decision, you will know potential side effects and know what you need to do to tackle them should they arise.

Keep your face to the sun and a smile on your lips.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote