Thread: Scared to death
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
swimangel72

Hi Louise - I'm sorry you have so much anxiety, but it's very normal prior to such a major surgery. Still - if you have done your research and checked out your doctor and hospital stats, you should feel a measure of confidence. Many women have fantastic cosmetic outcomes after their Diep surgeries - but everyone recuperates differently. I think your reasons for going through with the surgery make sense - but your husband is permitted to worry. After all, hospital infections are a big deal these days - I should know - my surgery lasted 7 hours - and I ended up with a MRSA staph infection in my abdomen which really delayed my healing. Also - months after my surgery - I found a study online that says women who have had prior abdominal surgery, including c-sections, run a 24% increase risk in abdominal donor site complications. Here's the link to the abstract - you can bring it to your PS if you fall into that category.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18453974

So your husband's fears aren't groundless. Have you interviewed any of your surgeon's "successful" patients? Are they all satisfied? It would be good also to talk to any of his patients who were less than happy - if he'll give you any names. I hope you'll feel less conflicted as your surgery date drawers nearer!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote