View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Words can help us heal

I recently began reading HEALING WORDS by Caren Goldman. It was recommended to me by the rescue lady who brought Paul and me together with our two Maltese brothers 6 yrs ago. She is the sister of the author and was taken by my bc story and my belief in the mindbody connection. She was delighted to turn these two 3 mnth old pups who were so very sick and abused over to someone like me. She knew they would require special care and devoted healing techniques, beyond costly vet bills. Well, I finally got the book!

In it Caren refers to another book CLOSE TO THE BONE by Jean Sinoda Bolen in which that author explains how illness can initiate us into the Soul Realm. It is a threshold, forcing us to live on the edge, she is quoted as writing. I have personally found this to be true and am working on incorporating it into the book I have been working on writing for what seems like forever.

Through my bc experience I found new ways of knowing the world and myself. As we seek shelter from our anxiety, angst and anguish -- we seek significant connections. Hence this wonderful site full of others so much like us. Those who can uniquely understood what we are going through.

Bolen speaks of recovery occurring in and to the body and yet how it so profoundly affects the Soul. For me, bc has deepened my appreciation for Life's littlest of wonders. Sight and sound, the ability to feed oneself and bathe oneself, to walk and talk... True gifts not to be taken for granted.

Upon dx and throughout tx we face a maze of confusing information (which we gather from various sources, oncs, nurses, chemo mates and those we love and trust most in the world, even strangers). We have a cacophony of thoughts, fears and questions whirring about our heads all day.

What I discovered that is grand is that WE CAN CONTROL OUR THOUGHTS. We can therefore become the Master of Our Fate, by becoming the Captain of our Soul. When I consciously stop identifying myself as my mind (which can be wise and even brilliant but can also torment me to no end), when I align myself with my Truest Self, my Essence or Spirit -- I am connecting with a part of my divine Source. That is electrifying. Edifying. Enlightening!

We are never alone! And that is glorious.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote