View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
sarah

Re: DCIS & Neoadjuvant treatment - moving discussion to a new thread

Hi 'lizabeth, it was 1999 when herceptin was only given to metatastic patients and only beginning. I was 52. no nodes. ER/PR positive. surgery that was it, can you believe it! and went to a "top" oncologist (woman) at City of Hope, should call her hopeless!!! She explained what all the markers meant and which were dangerous but felt a mastectomy was enough despite my continuous questions about herceptin. Lucky to still be here. recurrence just under 5 year mark. France threw everything at me, saved me from sudden death and no insurance hassles and people come around and give you manicures or pedicures, massages and stuff while you're doing chemo!!! and they don't want you to suffer pain or have anxiety and generally the rooms have lovely views of the sea! and you can have wine with your lunch! I didn't, didn't think it would mix well with chemo.
These days they say you should stay on anti-hormonals for 10 years not 5. I did 6 but that was in the days, 5 was the protocol and I did 6 years of herceptin after the chemo and radiation (had herceptin during the chemo and radiation also).
I wonder if it pays to go back onto an anti-hormonal since the protocol has changed to 10?
wish all of you luck with your treatments and health
I guess my view is do more than less and fight for it
Health and happiness
sarah