View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Beverly

Exclamation Breast CA and skin CA link

Wow, I am finding so much more in this support group than I expected. I am fair, freckled and a Florida native, so precancer and basal cell skin cancers at 53 (had my first at about 30) are not too alarming. But in 2006, during a solid year of chemo of various types, I noticed a tiny spot at the outside edge of my eyebrow that came and went. I was not in good enough immunity shape to even have it biopsied. When my white count returned to normal in mid-2007, I had it checked and it was squamous cell, requiring a huge area of excision using MOHS surgery.

My oncologist and dermatologist denied a link between breast cancer or chemotherapy and skin cancer, yet my own research and the reported experiences here tell me that there is something there. I will remain vigilant. It helps that my dermatoligist has me on 4 month checkups-so the appointment is already made.

1999 - Recurrence in same breast. Estrogen+, tumor with invasive and non-invasive components. Mastectomy w/TRAM flap reconstruction, chemo Adriamycin/Cytoxan.
Port malfunction caused vascular damage, chemo discontinued.

Oct 2005 - recurrence at edge of TRAM flap. Biopsy showed aggressive HER2+++ tumor with lymph and vascular invasion. Chemo regimen of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, Dec to May 2006.

May 2006 - reversal of Tram flap reconstruction (radical mastectomy). Cancer cells still active. DNA analysis resulting in 2nd chemo regimen of Epirubycin/Cytoxan (Herceptintemporarily withheld) from June to Sept 2006. Herceptin resumed in Sept 06, started Femara.

PET scans negative until Oct 07
MUGA tests 63-65.
Extravasation of port diagnosed Jan08.
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote