Thread: Breast cancer?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
madubois63

Yes, there is a test to see if your daughter carries the BRAC gene. It's called the BRAC analysis test. Ask your doc about it. You should move this question to the message boards to get more input on this. I personally have thought long and hard about getting the test for my daughter and have decided against it for now. In my opinion, too many young women getting a positive result from this test decide to have double mastectomies, hysterectomies and drive themselves crazy with fear of the day they will get bc. A test can't tell you when. what if they weren't going to get it until they were 95 and they could have lived a full life with breasts and children? Things are moving so quickly in the cancer world. what if they come up with a cure the minute after surgery?? That would be my luck...I am sure you will get arguements for both sides of this issue. I am holding out for the vaccine and cure. My family has dealt with enough. I am not adding the stress of something that could happen sometime way in the future. My daughter has gotten the HPV vaccine, she will get her first mammo at 25 and has learned self exam and awareness (my head is not in the sand as some may think). I have even taught my son self exam because men do get bc too...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver