View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
kcherub

Thanks so much for replying...this all came about when I brought up the hot flashes, breakouts (that I usually have when I am ovulating and when I am about to start), and general "blahness" that I know is being caused by the lack of estrogen. See, I have said from the get-go that I want to have more children (with the embies from a 1999 cycle) and that I expected to live as healthy and as to feel as good as I once did! I know that some of that is beyond my control, but nevertheless those are my "goals".

My period didn't stop until just before the 5th round of chemo, and I was NOT happy. I know that being ER+ and estrogen don't go together, but I am not ready to be my mother's age! Anyhoo, I have kind of felt the whole time that my ONC pooh-poohed my fertility/hormone concerns, and said so this morning. Is it wrong to want what you wanted before?!? If so, I don't see any reason to go through all this hell (chemo, radiation, general interruption of life for Herceptin, risks of Tamoxifen) if you can't do what you had planned and hoped for.

Okay, off my soap box. I did see a couple of sites that mentioned AIs for pre-menopausal women, but the research seems murky to me. I told the PA that oopherectomy was NOT going to happen. I am willing to take Tamoxifen, as the body is still "allowed" to produce estrogen and the Tamoxifen does what I need it to do--block any tumors from taking it in.

Being Stage 1, I would like to think there is no tumor anywhere! Any kind of suggestion of how to proceed or what to bring up with my ONC will be much appreciated!!!
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote