View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #62
Yorkiegirl

Re: Irene From Tampa

John I just copied and pasted what you wrote on the Caring Bridge site today.
My prayers still continue for Irene and you and the girls.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today has been long, busy, tiring and yet mentally settling.

Irene had a restless night as her breathing was challenged.
She was unable to cough fully and clear her throat of some fluid, so the nurses were called multiple times to check her lungs and move her into a better/different position. In her lethargic state, she's not swallowing properly...fluids can go to her lungs...so the doctors have mandated nothing be given her by mouth.

Her ammonia level rose to 140.
Her bilirubun rose to 6.3
Her platlete count dropped to 19.

I cancelled her 15th - the long sought last radiation treatment. In Irene's condition, it would serve no curative purpose and it seemed an injustice to put her (and the technicans) through it.

She's resting comfortably besides me.

Perhaps she's overheard our room conversation...that she'll be going home. I (and the girls) visited Hospice House mid-morning and after learning the parameters of their service, decided fully to take her home to rest. We'll meet with the Hospice representative from the hospital on Saturday to make those arrangements.

I'll set her up in the middle of our family room - where she can be surrounded by all her loving friends...family...Maxx & Mollie - for as long as she'll let us have her. Hospice will be on hand (or on call) to keep her comfortable and I and the girls will fill her days with music, reading, sunlight and love. Lots of love.

When we have her there...come often...make yourself (and Irene) comfortable.

From the Hospice House we traveled to east Tampa - to revisit a patch of ground Irene & I had chosen many years ago as our final resting place.. She was to have a stem cell transplant...a possibly fatal procedure...so such arrangements were necessary. She made it though the transplant and the many months thereafter. It wasnt easy..but she/we made it...the land wasnt needed and since its matured into the quiet, peaceful place we envisioned.

Discussions took place and tentative arrangements were reached to care for Irene after she passes. Irene's final days wont be cluttered by administrative matters. Eventually Irene (and someday I) will rest beneath a proud oak tree...with wind chimes and gentle breezes. A bench will be left for you to sit on...and tell us of your day.

My heart overflows whenever I read the many prayers & passages that you all have provided for Irene. Theres something too special about such loving expressions...I dont have the words. Rest assured...I promise...that I will read each and every last line to Irene...as softly and best I can.

Although it wont ever be forgotten, its time for me let today go.

Dont forget - tomorrow will be Irene's 64th birthday. If you cant come and give her a kiss...think of her all day. It will be her last birthday - so make sure you dont forget to celebrate the entirety of her. Fill your day with her. No "Sorry I missed your birthday" cards will do this time.

As I close, Irene is "exercising" both feet under the sheets...
Dr. George's words probably ringing in her ears.

Its tender, heartbreaking and no wonder why I love this woman so much.

Love to all - John
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote