View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
chrisy

Hi Joy,

Great questions, I think we all ask those questions all the time.

I'm no expert of course, but on the "causes pain at tumor site", that is a reported S/E in the Herceptin literature; there may be some resource somewhere that lists all the possible side effects and the drugs that cause them...but I'm not sure that would be good information to have!

In my personal experience, I had T/C/H and it worked on extensive liver mets then maintained NED on H alone, never with any pain. The only time I have had pain was after my first DM1 infusion, and it was a mother of a pain but short lived. And the DM1 worked. My personal belief was that the pain with DM1 indicated it was pissing off the cancer - and I'm sticking to it. But my experience with other agents was no pain, so I don't see a direct correlation.

I think there is limited (if any) actual study of these correlations for the most part. There are so many complexities - is that side effect just one more complexity that may or may not have significance?

Your other question is also really interesting - and I'll bet somebody is, at least indirectly, researching that area.

There is a lot of emerging knowledge and research into the mechanisms that cause drugs to work, or not, or develop resistance. There is also interesting data on how resistance can be reversed, how various pathways can be activated/deactivated/reactivated... So although I don't think the answer is known yet, as the understanding of the basic biology advances this may reveal how we can improve/change the response to a particular drug.

Still way too much remains unknown - but I'm grateful that people who actually have a chance of understanding it are also asking these questions!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote