View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
Lien

Re: Thoughts filling my head.

It may or may not be a good idea to have a hysterectomy. Most of us experienced the anxiety at the end of treatment (surgery, rads, hormonals, perception). Up until that moment, we (subconsciously) think we are actively doing something to fight our cancer. But when we stop, it feels as if we are inviting the cancer to come back. Like we are opening the gates, so to speak. That is scary. However, most of the time, we have done enough. If there is no evidence of other risk factors, like a strong family history of cancer, you should be ok. If you did have a hysterectomy, would you worry about any other cancers? I did at first. Now that I'm 10 years out from diagnosis, I've started to relax. Actually, that sense of "I'll be ok" started a lot earlier. It gets better every year. So unless there's a compelling medical reason to get a hysterectomy, I would suggest you postpone your decision a bit. A hysterectomy is major surgery and your body has taken a beating over the past year. Heal a bit, take a breather and see how you feel in a year. In the mean time, keep having those ovaries checked, of course. And if they do give you a lot of pain and distress, talk to your doc about ways to treat them. But having a hysterectomy does not, as far as I know, reduce your risk of BC.

I've had huge fibroids for decades and as far as I know, I'm still fine. Which reminds me that it's time for a check-up...

Love
Jacqueline

PS> Congratulations on finishing your Vitamin H!
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote