View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Lien

Re: Am I crazy to keep my ovaries

I still have my uterus and ovaries, despite my hormone positive BC. I live in the Netherlands, Europe, where docs are not as aggressive. We don't sue them if we find out that the decisions we made together turn out to be wrong. We chalk it up to bad luck. Medicine is not an exact science.

I wanted to keep my ovaries for the exact same reasons you are quoting: heart health. And bone health, too. I had Zoladex shots to shut my ovaries down for 4 years and took Arimidex, but then I was ER/PR+. I was not exactly happy when my periods returned at age 50, and they stayed with me for about 3 years before petering out quietly.

The hysterectomy will take care of the bleeding, so that should be a relief. You will have to go through menopause in a couple of years, but if you are lucky, your ovaries will be supporting your heart and bones for another ten years. That's a big bonus.

So all in all, I think you are probably doing the right thing.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote