View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Who's ready for some good news...?!!

I think we all could use some HAPPY news...!!!

Thanks for chiming in, Jackie.

Your words -- about my "honest sharing --
(of your emotion/resolve/optimism...) helps us all to honestly face the reality and ourselves".
Your words touch my heart.

We each must share! We aren't whining. We're reporting. To hopefully guide and inspire others with their reality.

Does anyone here get spacey or dizzy when a pillow pressures on the back of their skull?

I have 4 pillows on my bed I am always rearranging, propping, poofing. I thought I was working at getting support for my neck -- so my left arm (where they removed 21 nodes) doesn't feel painful. Yes, I still get that pain but only when I lie down.

Hmmm...

In recovery I was propped up on a pillow, kind of sitting up, and feeling dizzy and nauseous. The nausea nurse Jayne immediately took care of. Shot some Zofran into my IV. Couldn't do anything for the dizzy...

I saw others patients recovering, getting up slowly, walking hesitantly, headed for the bathroom to pee (a must before being released). I could not move. An hour went by. Other patients were leaving. Jayne stayed with me solidly, talking, making notes. I was saying, I'm never going to get out of here.

Then I moved the pillow down, and relieved the pressure on back of my skull unwittingly and it hit me -- that's what's causing the dizziness! Jayne looked up. Came from the end of the bed to my side. We chatted, and she said, I have the same problem! Kind of a revelation to her too. Really? Yes! Does everyone have that problem? I don't know.

We thought. She said, That's why everyone is always buying a new pillow and throwing pillows away. Trying to find the "right" pillow. We said, the back of skull is a pressure point. I said, You mean it's a positional thing. I thought I liked supporting my neck (even use an airplane semi circle pillow in bed) -- but what it's doing is relieving pressure on the back of my skull.

Soon, I was able to dangle, then to touch the floor with my socked feet and shuffle to the bathroom, w/Jayne helping me so kindly and caringly.

Just something to think about.

Do you have an issue anyone w/feeling spacey or out of it from pressure on the back of your skull? I didn't realize I do till Thursday! And neither did Jayne!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 06-30-2013 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: clarity
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote