View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
dlaxague

second path opinion?

Sarah, where did you have your pathology done? Those levels of ERPR are low enough that it's possible they are not accurate. If you have not already done so, I suggest that you get a second pathology opinion from a central lab that does lots of breast cancer - an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center would be best. I sent my tissue blocks and slides to Baylor after learning that they are known for their accuracy in testing ERPR. But I didn't do that until I was two years into Arimidex, alas. See signature.

A second opinion on pathology is easy to do. I picked up my blocks and slides at the lab and sent them off to Baylor, per the instructions on their website. They evaluate for ERPR with the Allred Score. You could also request that your surgeon or oncologist arrange this for you.

There are statistics on false-negative reports of ERPR in community labs that cite up to a 30% error rate. That's more worrisome of course, than false positive reports, as a treatment opportunity is missed. But false positives are not without issues, either - no one wants to take a medication with potential side effects and no benefit.

Debbie Laxague
3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote