View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Becky

Re: Birth Control Pills and Breast Cancer Link

One year at the San Antonio BC Symposium I went to the Gold Medal award winner presentation speech (this award is given to a scientist as a Lifetime Research award - very big thing). This person (woman's) work was tracking about 150 girls from the time they were 7 until they were in their 50's. Pretty cool (Jean from this board was with me during this). This woman tracked everything from diet, exercise, and menses. Just about everything you can track, she tracked. One big part I remembered is that of course, some of these girls had menses problems - many due to intense exercise (big soccer players etc). Others for unknown reasons. The girls that didn't have periods while they were young for exercise or other reasons had a nonexistant BC rate. Her explanation was that since they were not menstruating, they didn't get the rise and then spike in estrogen that happens every month. Someone did ask her about birth control pills and she said, why would you want to do that for any other reason than birth control as she felt it does contribute to BC eventually. Big talk on Birth control pills then.

However Paula, your daughter does get her period and is suffering. It seems to me, she is greatly suffering and this may be a medical/quality of life issue. Way different than just not getting her period. Therefore, you need to really explore options that may help her and the pill may be one of them.

I want to comment on Lien's - I too had really bad cramps that took me out day 1 of my period. They greatly subsided after I had my first baby. They didn't go away but a couple of Advil took care of the problem.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote