View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
StephN

Post Herceptin Diluents Specifics

Hi Everyone -
I tried to post this last weekend from my sis's house when we had the power outage and it did not "take." So, will do it again, since there has been some discussion (lately initiated by kate) about aches and pains associated with the Herceptin treatments. I was curious so inquired at my cancer center, which is connected to a major university hospital.
Seems that there is only the smallest amount of the benzyl alcohol used, and I have asked whether they can cut it out altogether, or if it is actually part of the Bacteriostatic water. Will post that info when I get it.

WISHING YOU ALL A WARM AND BRIGHT HOLIDAY TIME.
(My Dad noted this morning that my joyous mood must be because I have overcome so much with my brain and head this year!) I know some others who have been having the same Stage IV fight will feel the same way ... just glad to be here and able to make a holiday breakfast for their loved ones!

Hi Stephanie,

Good question. Trastuzumab (herceptin) is delivered to the pharmacy in powdered form. This powder is then "reconstituted" (mixed with water to dissolve it) with a kind of water called bacteriostatic water. Bacteriostatic water is sterile and contains a very small amount of benzyl alcohol as a preservative. The amount of bacteriostatic water used to dissolve the herceptin is 20mL (one tablespoon + 1 teaspoonful) and the benzyl alcohol in this water is only 1.1% of the total volume. The dissolved herceptin is then mixed into an larger bag of saline which is then infused through your port or vein.

I haven't heard of this cramping issue with Herceptin and I honestly don't think it would be related to the benzyl alcohol. I'm wondering have you started any other therapies lately? Happy to help in any way. Julie

__________________________________________________ __

Julie Garrison, Pharm.D.
Breast Cancer Clinical Research Manager
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Washington

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote