View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #60
Paula O

Re: For those interested: Scripture Through the Her2 Fight

Promise #3: I will not despair, God is ALWAYS good

(continuation of notes I took and me checking some different Scripture translations while listening to the James MacDonald CDs “Always true”. The direct quotes are his, not mine.)

Romans 8:28

New Living Translation (NLT)

28 And we know that God causes everything to work together[a] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28

Amplified Bible (AMP)

28We are assured and know that [[a]God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.
———————————
Psalm 27:13

King James Version (KJV)

13I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

New International Version (NIV)

13 I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 [a]I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD
In the land of the living.
——————————–
3 Accelerants to despair:
1. Surprise: no idea it was going to happen, didn’t see it coming
2. Severe: A big thing in your life
3. Settled/or the enemy telling us it’s a settled matter. “It’s all over”.

It is a good place to come to when we can’t do one single thing to “fix things” except to wait on God. Our part: just believe Him. His part: the rest. Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord. “Be still and know that I am God.”
Everything God does in my life is for my good. EVERY one of His “no’s” is a MERCY.
A.W. Tozer got a “degree” in suffering.
Psalm 100:5

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 For the LORD is good;
His lovingkindness is everlasting
And His faithfulness to all generations.

Psalm 100:5

5 For the Lord is good.
His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation.
——————————

Psalm 145:9

9 The Lord is good to everyone.
He showers compassion on all his creation.
Psalm 145:9

New King James Version (NKJV)

9 The LORD is good to all,
And His tender mercies are over all His works.
————————————
Things I gleaned/thoughts that were a special blessing to me:

God is always good to me. He showers me with compassion and tender mercy.

Every single “no” to my prayers is a mercy, full of His wisdom

I do see and will continue to see His goodness while I am alive and in the land of the living.

The way things are going does not need to make sense to me. I will not despair, God is ALWAYS good, loving, kind, faithful, and right in all He does and allows.

I will not despair over the cancer, over the pain, over the treatment I wish I didn’t need to be doing,.. over anything else. This is all temporary stuff, all “momentary and light afflictions” with an eternal purpose and some of the hardest things I am going through are really special blessings from God. I just don’t always recognize the beautiful gifts He has for me because I get fooled for awhile by the way the “presents are wrapped”.

All the “exceedingly great and precious promises” in the Bible, the “diamonds in mountains of gold”, that are God’s treasures for me personally. How very rich and blessed I am in Christ!
Psalm 23

1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have EVERYTHING I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the dark valley of death,[a]
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.

I had posted the above in my blog while I was going through treatment and was having a great deal of pain from nerve damage from the surgery and my friend Nita responded with this:

"I think there is a fourth acclerant to despair, and that is getting our eyes off God and forgetting that He is in control and does all things well. And when we are in pain, it is very challenging to keep our eyes on Him. We are drawn to the pain.
Yesterday I read something to the effect that since God has already worked out an amazingly wonderful answer to our greatest problem – sin – we can trust Him to work out an amazingly wonderful answer to our other, smaller problems.
I’ve been chewing on that and finding it a blessing because my problem with sin is not just in the past, it is also in the present. I have daily problems, but my biggest daily problem is my tendency towards sinful responses to those problems. I bet I am not the only one.
And God has provided the answer through the Gospel which rescues us from the penalty and the power of sin. How wonderful that we can count on His presence and His help as we face all our problems, including the biggest one!"