View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Pat94

Question about AIs

I am 65 and have been in complete menopause 21 years. I have had both hips replaced previously due to bone deteriation.

My tumor discovered in Jan, 2013 was ER/PR negative & HER2+++, no lymph node involvement. Recurrence in Spring, 2014 found more than 20 positive lymph nodes, ER 5%, PR still negative, and still HER2+++. In addition to the surgery, I had 44 radiation treatments followed by TCH. I had severe side effects from the TC including blood clots. The 5th TC was reduced & the 6th had to be cancelled because they were worried I would die from SEs &/or have permanently, severely damaged vision. I finished the year of Herceptin at the end of May.

Now they have announced they want me on an AI, Letrozole. I know that AIs are most effective with high ER values and are of no or minimal value at low levels. I have been left with so many SEs from TCH I am not sure how much more battering I want my body to endure . Are there any studies showing the effectiveness of AIs on low level ER? I asked and was told my case is so "unique" that no studies fit my profile. They think I should try it & quit if I have any SEs. I haven't had a bone density scan yet but it is scheduled.

Thanks for knowledge, experience, and advice.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote