View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
SuzEQ

Re: Low white blood cell count?

Chemo is pretty hard on your counts and my guess is that now that you're not on neulasta or steroids, which can mask the damage of chemo, the true counts are showing up. I finished chemo in Nov. 2008 and Herceptin Aug 2009 and still run a WBC that's a little lower than normal, although it's occasionally popped up into normal range. I also noticed that when I had surgery it would dip down again so I'm going to see if it's come up now that I'm done with reconstruction. Check your ANC, this is the number that lets you know your infection fighting capabilities which is probably within normal limits and is why your onc does not seem overly concerned. This low WBC can go on for a few years and if you've had carbo, this may be the cause. I had TCH so I'm assuming it was carbo that caused the low WBC. I'm planning to start a mushroom supplement to see if this helps but other than that, I'm eating healthy foods, fruits, vegetables, etc.. If anyone has suggestions on mushroom supplements and a reliable source, please let me know. Hope this helps.

Sue
SuzEQ is offline   Reply With Quote